Monday, September 01, 2008

The Proper Way to Use Technology - 5

If someone calls you, can you e-mail the person back or send a text message if you're not in the mood to talk? What if you text or e-mail someone and the person calls you back?

Will Schwalbe, coauthor of Send: Why People Email So Badly and How to Do It Better, says, "Think about what is the best way to respond. If someone called you to get directions somewhere, for instance, reply via e-mail so you can send along a map."


Joni Blecher, editorial director of LetsTalk.com, adds "If you text someone because you don't want to talk and the person calls back , don't answer. If you do answer, the other person will sense your foul mood immediately and might get offended. Just text back that you can't talk now but will call later. Your friend will thank you.

Seems straightforward enough. Personally, I have never been a "phone talker." E-mail is my preferred method of communication. If I can get by with sending an e-mail instead of making a phone call I jump on it.

"Of course, for things like catching up with a good friend or venting, e-mail just doesn't cut it. If face to face isn't possible, the phone is a good alternative!" says self-proclaimed expert, megs. :)

And the final question is:

Is it rude to check your PDA at a friend's house?

As an aside, there are more questions in the September issue of Real Simple, but to find them you are going to have to find a copy of the magazine. My blog series ends here. (Whoa, I think I actually heard the collective sigh of relief from those who frequent my blog. Yes dear friends, the end is in sight!)

(question and responses taken from September 2008 issue of Real Simple magazine. Article was titled "Manners 2.0 and written by Katie McElveen)

2 comments:

Renata said...

I've really enjoyed your technology post series! Thanks for sharing it!
As for the question - I don't have a PDA, so I'm not qualified to answer!

Drool Sessions said...

I am totally an email over phone person. I will use email for everything if I could. Maybe it's our generation!