Monday, October 15, 2012

The Past 12 Days

Over the summer, my man started a new job.

With the new job, came the opportunity for travel, something he did not have to do with his old job.

Yes, I've been spoiled.

And as a spoiled wife who is used to having her husband home, I was hoping for a gradual easing into the travel portion of his work, maybe a one-nighter for starters?

HaHaHa, they said (they being the "powers that be" who decide these type of things).

And off he was sent on a 12-DAY TRIP.

I'm not going to lie, it was daunting. But we geared up, made plans and plunged in head first.

And now, 12 days later, he's home. (YAY!!) We survived, and surprisingly, the days went by fast.

(It helps that the traveling he was doing was for the benefit of orphans and other vulnerable children. I am so thankful he had the opportunity to go and see how Lifesong is making a difference for kids in Zambia and Ukraine and that he is now a part of the difference they are making.)

I noticed a few things while he was gone...


  • I am a compulsive door-locker/checker. When he is home, I typically check them once before bed. When he was gone, I found myself "making the rounds" several times a night. Just in case one decided to unlock itself or something.
  • Bedtime (for the kids) seemed to come earlier and earlier the longer he was gone.
  • I LOVE Downton Abbey. Thanks to a friend who was willing to loan me season 2 my evenings were filled with English accents.
  • I used to be able to sleep without a sound machine, not so much anymore. 
  • My imagination can over-react (just a little), at night, when I'm trying to sleep, without a sound machine.
  • Going out with five kids and one adult, while doable for a short period of time, is EXHAUSTING. But then, if you remember this post, you know I should already know this.
  • And while we are on the topic of EXHAUSTING... I don't know who is more jet-lagged, him or me.
  • I have amazing friends who lift me up in prayer. I am convinced that is THE reason why the 12 days went so quickly (and smoothly, if you don't count the "fire alarm being pulled at the restaurant by one of my kids" incident).
All in all, it was a good 12 days. BUT, I am SO glad he is home safe and sound.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Your kids are a beautiful princesses, and a handsome prince's. They are blessings, gifts, miracles, and special earthly angels.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease. I have 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.
http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

smw said...

so glad it's over and that you did well!

J and A said...

Know the feeling... glad you survived and that he's home safe :)