Friday, February 25, 2011

Remembering


Monday night was a treat.

My mom took Mya and I to visit my Grandma. She is moving soon, downsizing to a smaller house closer to us. She has been cleaning out her closets and drawers getting ready for her move. We went to help. Actually we went to take. She told us what she didn't want and we took it (don't worry Jami and Leslie we left some for you).

It was so much fun. We ate dinner together. Mya asked Grandma about her life when she was little. And then we went room by room through Grandma's house and I was given the gift of remembering the countless hours I spent there as a little girl. The rooms, the smells. Its the only house I've ever known her in.

We looked at puzzles I remember doing. We went through the cedar chest full of dress-up clothes. We looked at books and Archie comics that I read on summer overnights before falling asleep. Books that my mom read when she was little and that Mya will be reading soon. We looked at wedding gifts, given over 60 years ago to celebrate a marriage that would last a lifetime.

Some of what we looked at will be moving into our house. A quilt made by my great-grandma given to my grandparents as a wedding gift. Puzzles. Books. Antique blue vases. The cedar chest (with dress-up clothes still inside).

I'm excited about these gifts and the memories they bring back, but I adore what they stand for even more. A Godly life-long marriage. God-honoring lives. Grandparents who love me and continue to invest in my life and the lives of my children.

The legacy my Grandma passes on to her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren is a priceless treasure, one that will influence generations for years and years to come.

When you are blessed by a good thing that has been around for as long as you can remember, it is easy to discount its influence, to forget. Even a priceless treasure.

That is why Monday night was a treat.

It was a chance to remember.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

so much fun! I love "grandma gifts!" the ones I have from my grandma are some of my favorite furniture pieces. I want to see pictures of the great memories you were blessed to have! :) I love old treasure like that!

sarah.flyingkites said...

LOVE this post. I don't know what else to say. Wow...

(oh and the picture is PRICELESS!)

Amber said...

So this totally made me cry and smile all at the same time - made me miss my grandma . . .but in such a special way. I was (and am still) blessed by so many neat grandparents.

It's so special when our kids can share in those memories too!

Linda Schuhmacher said...

What a Preciouse Tresure you have in your Grandparents & the memories they have built through life & with you.

I wish I would of been able to share my Grandma with my children but her memory lives on.