Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tomorrow is Global Food Crisis Day!

Some days it feels like we have nothing to eat.

At least nothing that I'm craving in the moment... like chocolate.

I look in our cupboard and nothing looks good. Nothing appeals to me.

So I either make due with an inferior snack, like pretzels, or I go "hungry" until dinner time arrives.

I recently received an e-mail from Compassion. There is Global Food Crisis affecting millions of families around the world. Even in America, we have felt the tremors. Food prices are going up in our grocery stores. It affects what and how much I buy.

Even though I feel the tremors, it is hard to imagine families going hungry. I am insulated from that because of where I live. But it doesn't change that fact that there are people around the world going hungry. It doesn't change the fact that I can do something to help.

Here are the facts:
  • The UN World Food Programme calls the current global food crisis "a phenomenon, a silent tsunami," that is affecting millions of families in every nation on every continent.
  • This global food crisis is more rapid, urgent and devastating than any other in the history of our planet.

Why is this happening?

  • The cost of food staples have roughly doubled in many countries
  • Some of the original factors that turned this trend into a world calamity recently include unstable oil prices, increased meat consumption in countries like India and China, droughts in major crop-producing countries, and increased production of bio fuels

How can you help?

  • Compassion has created a Global food crisis fund. This fund provides food vouchers to children and families in need of immediate relief. It provides seeds and agricultural tools so that families can grow their own food as well as earn extra income. And, it provides supplemental nutrition services at Compassion-assisted centers around the world.
  • Please visit Compassion to learn more and to donate to this cause.
  • Add a Global Food Crisis widget to your blog to help Compassion raise awareness.

I know the current economic conditions have people worried. It is hard to give money when the economic future is uncertain and our dollars are not stretching as far as they once did.

BUT, there are moms who are sending their children to bed hungry. Compared to that economic condition, we live in a world of abundance no matter how tight our grocery budget is.

THEREFORE, we can help. Every little bit counts. Every dollar makes a difference. Please consider donating to Compassion's Global Food Crisis Fund today.

4 comments:

Ashley Baner said...

I could about cry thinking of sending kids to bed hungry. What a great cause! The real reason I am commenting...I REALLY hope you straightened your cabnet before this photo!! If not, you disgust me.

megs @ whadusay said...

Ashley - you make me laugh - thanks for the smile this morning! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for spreading the word...

Kristy said...

I'm with you on staring at the pantry thinking 'nothing in here sounds good'! I need to be more thankful for what I have, and PRAY for & help those who don't even have a pantry. Thanks for that reminder, Megs!