Monday, January 26, 2009

A Glorified Babysitter or Building Walls?

The comment was made at bible study last week, "I want to be more than a glorified babysitter."

Do you ever feel that way as a mom, like a glorified babysitter?

I do.

I had to think, what is the difference between a mom (or dad) and a glorified babysitter?

The answer I came up with was intentionality.

Intentionality in teaching my kids about Jesus. Intentionality in discipline. Intentionality in shaping their character.

Am I being intentional as I raise my kids?

Some days, but I could do better.

A friend once said that her goal is to build the walls of character and truth around her children in times of peace so that when the battles come they will stand strong.

I love the word picture that conjures up.

I want to do that, but sometimes I get lost in the how.

One idea our family wants to implement this year is "Family Night". Basically we want to take one night a week to teach our kids a biblical truth using object lessons and games (there are a lot of books available that make this idea a lot less intimidating). We want this to be a fun night (which means ice cream or some other fun treat is a must).

That is one idea, but I want more!

I would love to hear your thoughts. How are you intentionally building walls in times of peace around the heart of your child so they will stand strong when the battles come?

8 comments:

Jill said...

I am looking forward to reading the responses...

sarah.flyingkites said...

Thanks for the encouragement...I need to hear that today ;)

smw said...

i have been feeling lately that this phase of life requires purposefulness. we started a family night, too. otherwise, we are always focused on work-jaret's, home, home schooling, the day in, day out stuff, etc. so this post definitely rings true here.
~shar

Tami said...

megan, i'm coming at it from the other end. i don't have children, but this is good to hear from even an aunt's perspective.

one thing i remember one way that my dad and mom intentionally built walls in my life was that they reminded us DAILY of their vision for us in life and our relationship with God. i think of the verse, "Where there is no vision, the people perish". i appreciate the vision that my parents had and reinforcing it in my life.

Tami said...

p.s. i really like your new blog header!!!

megs @ whadusay said...

Thanks Tami!

Holly said...

Our kids are all grown up now, but one thing I've realized is how powerful the modeling we do can be. As moms, if we model faith even in the daily details of our lives, our kids learn faith. If we model thankful hearts, our kids learn gratitude. If we model love in our relationships even with difficult people, our kids learn what it means to love. Sometimes it's not so much what we do, it's who we are in Christ that our kids absorb.

Renata said...

I really love that word picture " building walls". Family nights sound like fun - I would love to impliment it in our family as well.

I did email you, but it bounced back to me.