Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What to do when you don't feel like it




I've been thinking about yesterday's post and Michael Hyatt's list and I'm wondering...

What do you do when your emotions overwhelm you for whatever reason, or none at all? What do you do when you need to get things done but you just don't feel like it?

I started my own list. Here's what I've got:

*Stay away from the Internet/e-mail/Facebook. These are things I do when I'm stalling. When I don't feel like doing anything else or want to waste time. Forcing myself away from them sometimes forces me into doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

*Set a tinsy, tiny goal and accomplish it. Then move on to the next thing and start building momentum.

* Promise myself a reward if I do what I need to do.

*Play a game with my kids. Sometimes just doing something gets me going. This is a fun something that involves connection. win-win!

* Pray for inspiration on what to tackle first.

* Do something that fills me up. There are times when I get worn down and no amount of handy "tips" will get me going because I'm running on empty. Those are the times I need to do something that fills me up, like reading a good novel or taking a nap.

* Just do it. Push through the "I don't feel like it" and do it anyway

* Spend time with Jesus. Read his word, pray or just being still.

These are a few things that work for me... what works for you?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I have been having some of those days. I remember Elizabeth Elliot's words on just doing the next thing rather than look at ALL you need to do.

Or...you can head to FL with your hubs - that should change things :-)

megs @ whadusay said...

Jill, that sounds like a most excellent idea! :)

Holly said...

Usually the fill-me-up things are most helpful, even though that's almost counter-intuitive; it seems that it's when I'm running on empty that I'm least willing to do the things I know I should be doing. Sometimes it's as simple as taking a nap!

Designed with Purpose said...

I am glad I am not the only one that struggles with this! I find if I can avoid the internet or TV, I usually can get back on track. I also like to make a list of the true things about my life or my situation. I learned the hard way that my feelings are not always the truth...I have to remind myself who I am and why I was made.