Thursday, April 07, 2011

Green Mama

I will never campaign to save the White Rhino. The word "tree-hugger" brings to mind images of liberal hippies chained to trees. I don't worry about global warming or climate change, in fact I rarely think about them.


At one point in my life, I associated all-things "green" with a liberal media who cared more about trees than human beings. But, through a little education, I have grown to see the importance of the green movement. I've learned that part of being a good steward means taking care of the planet we live on. As part of that stewardship, I've been trying to do my part. Things like remembering to bring my reusable bags to the grocery store and recycling for starters.


All that to say, I'm really excited to tell you about a book I read titled, Green Mama - The Guilt-Free Guide to Helping You and Your Kids Save the Planet by Tracey Bianchi.


No matter where you are on the green spectrum, this book is a good read. Written from a Christian perspective, it gives all the right reasons to go green and is filled with ideas, little and big, on how to do that. The ideas presented in this book are realistic and doable (written by a mom for moms), but be warned this book is much more than an idea book, Green Mama has challenged my thinking in a lot of ways.


It convicted me that I need to be a steward of more than the money and talents God has given me, but of the planet I live on, His creation. It challenged me to think about the purchases I make and how they affect the world, both before I bring them home and after I throw them away. It reminded me that part of going green is living in contentment and limiting what I buy. And, it confirmed that going green is not just about land and plants and animals, but about the people we share this planet with.


I still have no plans to help save the White Rhino, but I am trying to live a greener life. Many of you are far ahead of me in this journey, some may be lagging behind, but whatever shade of green you may be I believe this book will be a great resource to help you along the way.


***I love the message of this book and want to share it. All that to say, there just might be a giveaway or two on Friday! AND, if you have any questions you'd like to ask the author, leave a comment and stay tuned!***

5 comments:

Janie S. said...

Yaaaay! Give-a-ways! Yeah, I'd like to put my hat in the ring for that book.... ;-) We recycle but nothing more. I'd love some ideas, maybe a paradigm shift, you know the usual. I'm totally shameless about the giveaway. GIVE ME THE BOOK! Ok now I'm just cracking my own self up.

http://traceybianchi.com said...

Janie! You should get a book just for being honest about wanting a free book! So fun! Thanks Megan for the heartfelt review! Janie, if you don't win a book on Friday I'll send ya a copy. Just promise to recycle it after reading!
Tracey Bianchi

Emily said...

whoop whoop! a giveaway!!!! i just put this on my library list-- i agree with you- i tend to think "green" people as ultra liberal, save the whale, but kill the babies type of people-- but we DO need to care for our planet-- eager to read a green christian perspective!!!

Renata said...

This book does sound fantastic & I've never heard of it before, so thank you for your review - I'll keep a look out for it.
Hope you are keeping well with that beautiful family!
Blessings
Renata:)

Kasey said...

This book sounds really great. Living overseas for a couple of years really challenged my thinking about this topic. I'd love to read more, and especially from a Christian perspective.