Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Lovely View



Sometimes I forget to say thanks for the most basic of things. Like breath and sight, and the ability to move freely... without pain.

Today I am especially thankful for the ability to walk. freely. without pain. A small thing until it is taken away. Last Friday the picture above comprised my view for the first part of the day. The ceiling of my bedroom. Lovely isn't it.

My back decided to stage a protest. The strike was loud and painful and to be honest, I don't really know what caused it. I wasn't sure how to react at first and moved almost seamlessly from laughter to tears to laughter to the confusion of those around me.

My husband stepped up to the challenge and truly saved the day giving me a bright side which included an opportunity to read all of Ted Dekker's Green.


So today I am giving thanks for a small thing, that is really a big thing: pain-free mobility.

I'm also giving thanks for small things like frozen bags of vegetables that soothed my sore back, my new, darling heating pad, which faithfully emitted pain-lessening heat when I needed it most, and the creative writing of Mr. Dekker.

But most of all, I'm giving thanks for my Man who took care of all the things I couldn't, including me!

9 comments:

smw said...

this sounds too familiar. did i ever tell you that i hurt my back this summer (i have no idea how) and my chiropractor determined it was either a cracked rib or torn cartiledge between my ribs? how can you do that without knowing it?!!! i'm afraid we are getting older. jaret too has been having back issues. it sure does make you thankful for a body that works right most of the time!!! i hope you are fully recovered soon. (if you aren't already.)

emily freeman said...

So true Megan! Easy to forget to be thankful for the basics until they aren't so basic anymore. Glad you are doing better!

Dawn said...

a list of thankfulness!
so glad you are feeling good...

Jami said...

So glad you're better!!! :)

Playing Sublimely said...

Thank you for sharing, so glad you are better!
Amy

Unknown said...

Back pain is not fun. And you are lucky to have such an understanding husband, and for being a good mother and resting. It is so important to do that. Back pain or not.

Jamie said...

Excellent reminder to be thankful for the small things in life that often are taken for granted. Glad you are feeling better!

Julia DesCarpentrie said...

So sorry, Megan! That is miserable, but you're right about it making one appreciative of mobility.
I do know Connie Johnson from Hearts and Home. I was able to see her again when I spoke at New Castle. They have another mom directing now, but Connie still is very involved. It's a ministry that got me through those years with 3 little ones at home. Felt good to give back :)

dawn said...

so glad you are better! Thanks for the reminder not to take our health and abilities for granted!