Thursday, December 04, 2008

Why We Should Not Adopt - Reason #2

I finally know what it means to be knee-deep in paper. Ah, the joys of the first trimester of adoption (aka paper pregnancy)!

We are slowly wading through the mounds of paperwork, building steam as we go. The further in to it we get, the less overwhelmed we feel - most days anyway.

Our agency is very organized - that helps.

And, we are making progress - that's good.

Along with the paperwork, payment deadlines loom. Payment for the home study. Payment to the adoption agency. Lots of little payments as we sift through the paperwork. Payments to certify and authenticate. Payments to the Chinese government. It is more than a little scary.

The high cost of adoption is a barrier for a lot of people. It was #2 on my list of reasons why we should not adopt. Adoption is expensive, and we don't don't have that much money sitting in our bank account.

So, I am learning to trust.

Psalm 50:10 states that God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. Matthew 10:30 tells us God knows the number of hairs on our head.

He is a God with unlimited resources.

He is a God who knows me intimately and loves me anyway.

He is a God who will provide for our needs as we move forward in this adoption.

Obviously we need to be good stewards of what He has given. We cannot act foolishly with our money and expect God to grow a money tree in the backyard. He doesn't work that way.

But, I can trust him to provide for my needs.

When I let go of my financial worries and turn them over to my Father, I start to get excited.

I also get excited when I see His people band together to help lessen the financial barriers to adoption. There are a few organizations out there who offer grants and interest-free loans to families pursuing adoption.

Lifesong for Orphans is one of them.

We are hoping to work with this organization to raise funds once we get a little further down the paperwork road.

When I look at the bills that will be due as a result of this adoption, I get a lump in my stomach. I worry that we won't be able to pay for things on time.

Then I remember... my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He will provide.

I need to trust.

5 comments:

Heidi Klopfenstein said...

Ah, the paperwork and payments, I hear you! I just found out we are going to have to do the I-800a for our China adoption...what that means is more paperwork and payments.

God has shown himself mightily throughout our adoption processes. As a result Todd and I's faith has been increased. I am so thankful to all God has taught us through our adoptions! I am confident that you will be amazed and blessed!

Jami said...

Oh the joys of paperwork. Even though there is less with our domestic adoption I have been a little overwhelmed by our profile! It is pages and pages of info about us...and I have to write it!

On another note, I'm excited to see how God provides for you in the financial realm and everything! It is an amazing ride so hang on and remember I'm here if you need to talk about it!! I love you!

hubergal said...

i can only imagine the worry about coming up with that kind of money.
and i hope the paperwork moves quickly.
love ya,
shar

Daish said...

Wow, Meg, I know I'm way behind, but that's a big step. We'll be praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

It is so exciting to see your faith journey through this adoption. I am looking forward to seeing God's provision for your family.

Love you, Jill