Monday, December 29, 2008

Anticipation

Originally posted in January 2007

We are leaving for Florida in two days, but we have been anticipating Florida for a LONG time.

Mya can't wait. She is more excited for Florida than she was for Christmas.

Kory can't wait. He needs a break from work.

The boys are clueless. But, if they could comprehend Florida, they would be excited too!

I can't wait. To have a break from the (sometimes) hum drumness of every day life sounds exquisite! A new (hopefully warm) setting, adults to talk to throughout the day, new experiences to share with my children (i.e. flying on a plane and going to the beach) all sound wonderful.

As I said, I can't wait.

The sad thing is, once it is over (and it will be very soon), I won't have Florida to look forward to anymore (at least in the near future). And, in all reality, our experience in Florida will never completely satisfy our desire to be there right now.

As C.S. Lewis puts it "The longings which arise in us when we...first think of some foreign land (or plan a trip to Florida)...are longings which no travel can really satisfy."

This again reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. It is by C.S. Lewis.

For those of you who have been reading since my blog began it will be review, but I think it is a quote worth reviewing.

C.S. Lewis says, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same."

Heaven. That is a trip worth anticipating. And, the exciting thing about Heaven is it will be so much better than anything we can think or imagine. Florida will never satisfy - Heaven will exceed my expectations and COMPLETELY satisfy every longing I have ever had.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

Jami said...

I hope you're having a fantastic time!! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,
i was checking Shar's blog, and came across this. thanks for the quote--it says so well what i feel but don't put into words. As wonderful as life here can be, there is a longing to be with the Lord forever, where we can "lay it all down".--no more struggle with self--it sounds so good. Sometimes i can almost sigh just thinking about it. Keep looking up. (and enjoy florida, too :-)

love you!