Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Truth is Truth

Have you ever wished you could go back in time knowing what you know now?

I took a creative writing class in college. One of the assignments was to bring in a piece of literature for the class to read and teach class on that piece. I brought in a proverb.

I think the reason this episode sticks out in my mind is because I knew I wanted to bring in a portion of the Bible for everyone to read, but at the same time, I did not want to "offend" anyone. I wanted to find a portion that was not controversial. I had the hardest time finding a passage.

The Bible, and the Christian faith in general, is very controversial. It offends people because it is truth and that makes people uncomfortable (myself included).

I wish I could go back to that class and that assignment and redo it. I don't know for sure what piece of literature I would pick. If I did pick the Bible, I don't think I would be afraid to pick a more "controversial" chapter.

I am not sure what the point of this post is. Let's try don't be afraid to speak the truth (in love of course - that is a very important ingredient). Don't try to soften it or explain it away. Truth is truth.

No comments: