Monday, March 21, 2011

Keep Riding


They learned to ride their bikes without training wheels the other night. As with most things in life, they learned together.

Not surprisingly, one learned a little faster than the other. It was noticed.

"He can do it better than me."

Yet he didn't let it get him down. He kept plugging away. Kept trying. Before long, he was riding like he had always known how. He was ready to head off on new, exciting bike-riding adventures.

I was proud of the way he handled it.

I want to be more like that.

There is always someone better and when I compare and find myself lacking I want to give up, or not even try.

"She's better than me" I whine to myself. "I'm not really needed."

Sneaky pride trying to pass itself off as humility.

I want to learn from my son and keep plugging along; Keep trying.
Who knows what adventures might be waiting if I do?

3 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! Thank you!

Michele said...

We could all learn from him, Megan. What a great post!!

Mom said...

Hooray Simon and Jonah!

We're so proud of you!

Love - Grandpa and Grandma Kaeb