Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving Thanks for Choices

"Boys, before we head home, we're going to thank Jesus for all this food. You know why? Because we have choices about what to eat! Many children won't get even one meal today. We have several kinds of cereals and soups. We have sandwiches and crackers. We even have some cookies and juice. Let's say thank you to Jesus."

-taken from Growing Grateful Kids by Susie Larson

Why is it so easy for me to focus on what I don't have? I look at my closet of clothes and feel I have nothing to wear. I look in our pantry of food and feel I have nothing to eat. I look at my furnished, roomy home and feel it is lacking. I look at my relationships and feel I/they fall short.

And yet, if I follow the promptings of His Spirit in me, and give thanks for the choice of what to wear and eat, for a warm, roomy home filled with people who love I am reminded of what I have. What He has given me to steward.

He has made me rich indeed.

Gratitude is a daily, minute-by-minute choice. One that leads to contentment and thanksgiving, and turns my focus back to the Gift-Giver. Away from my wants and myself.

It reminds me to give freely because I have been given much.

But oh how I struggle to stay grateful and content.

I love that we celebrate a holiday focused on thanksgiving. I need the reminder in a big way. This week many will be focusing on the gifts that have already been received and giving thanks.

Today I'm giving thanks for choices, what about you?

5 comments:

Jami said...

I love this Megan. I have been feeling Him say "be thankful" constantly. I am so thankful that He is always with me and will hold me and lead me through each moment.

Susie Larson is on focus today and tomorrow talking about this very thing!!

Love you! Can't wait for Thanksgiving at your place!

arlan and katie said...

I love that quote from Susie's book...such a heartfelt reminder!

I rarely take time to think about praising Jesus for a car load of groceries as I'm more concerned about waving a magic wand that gets me from Wal-mart to home while my groceries miraculously all jump from the Jeep to my cupboards EXACTLY where they are supposed to land! I hate getting groceries yet what a way to be thankful!

Michelle P. said...

Practicing gratitude! It's definitely a challenge for me, but something that I want to do for the Lord. I am thankful that He is at work in our wills and in our hearts, and He will equip us to do what pleases Him. (Phil. 2:13 NLT)

I enjoyed the video clip on this blog post. A good/fun reminder to count our blessings. http://whereverheleadsus.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

Well said Megan. Thanks for sharing!

Cindy said...

Right now I am thankful that God has given you the gift of expression through the written word because I am blessed every time I read your blog. Gods blessings to your precious family. Love, Cindy