Friday, November 19, 2010

Birthday Fun?

It is a well documented fact that birthdays become less "fun" the older you get.

I don't anticipate them like I used to, thinking about "the day" for weeks, even months before it actually arrives. Instead, they tend to sneak up on me making it hard for me to remember how old I actually am or will be.

I don't have trouble sleeping the night before my birthday anymore anticipating the day to come. The only sleep deprivation that occurs now-a-days comes with the normal nighttime "I have children" experience.

My kids look forward to cake on their birthday, discussing the color schemes and candles long before I begin to plan that birthday staple. And while I still love chocolate cake and birthday icing, it just isn't the same when I'm the one who has to make it.

(a quick shout out to two friends, you know who you are, who surprised me on different birthdays with birthday cake, a lovely, lovely surprise!)

I'm not saying there is no fun on birthdays as you grow old, just less or maybe different fun.

This year, I've been surprised by a different, unknowing, self-manufactured kind of fun...

I have been treated to a free coffee at Starbucks, a free stir-fry at Flattop Grill and best of all, a free entree at Moe's (translated, FREE NACHOS). All this for simply sharing my e-mail address with them.

Panera e-mailed me too, letting me know that I have a "surprise" waiting for me. I'm not sure when I'll make it in to discover what my surprise is... just knowing I have one is nice.

There will be other pieces of birthday fun too, a date-night with Kory, telling my kids the best present they can give me would be a clean room or getting along (if only it actually worked), having a reason to get out of making dinner or changing diapers or getting up in the middle of the night with a crying kid for the day(maybe we could celebrate my birthday week?), and receiving Facebook and blog birthday wishes (ahem... hint, hint).

Fun, sure, but more of a grown-up kind of fun.

After all, it is a well documented fact that birthdays become less "fun" the older you get.

7 comments:

Michelle P. said...

Hi, Megan! It sounds like birthday wishes are in order! A very Happy Birthday to you!

Also, I read this Love Without Boundaries post today and it made me think of you and your adoption journey. http://www.lwbcommunity.org/five-little-words

Thank you for sharing with those of us in the blog world. It has definitely had a positive impact on my family.

megs @ whadusay said...

Thanks Michelle! and thanks for sharing the link.

megs @ whadusay said...

Oh, and I've been wondering... Michelle P do you have a blog somewhere. I so appreciate your comments, I'd love to learn a little bit more about you! :)

Heidi Klopfenstein said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rebekah said...

happy birthday megan!!! i'm glad you get to have a date night!! i actually thought of your birthday earlier this week and thought, I need to remember to wish Megan a happy birthday...and then I forgot. I guess I could blame it on being in my 30s right? See being in our 30s isn't all bad! We can blame our stupidity on our age now!! ha ha.

Love you and I am so thankful for your friendship. I really miss being with you now that I'm not in Bible study...but I'm looking forward to being with you a little in Florida!!

Have a wonderful day and know that you're loved!

-bek

Michelle P. said...

No, I'm more of a blog reader than a blog writer. ;-) I DO have a FB account.

Rachel Lynn said...

Happy Birthday to you, Megan! Hope your day is awesome, awesome! :)

I also LOVE getting all of the freebie e-mail coupons for having a birthday! :) My personal favorites are the Flat Top and Moe's ones as well (Jeremy and I are rather obsessed with Moe's nachos :)).

Have fun using your coupons! :).

~Rachel