Thursday, March 27, 2008

Worry is a Waste of Time

We watched a little bit of the news last night before bed. It stressed me out. We heard about a little boy drowning in the local YWCA pool, a young man who was messing around with his friend and pushed him out into traffic - the friend died, and a memorial for a little boy who was brutally murdered 5 years ago.

As I was trying to fall asleep I started to worry about our boys. I felt the worry in the pit of my stomach and it wouldn't leave. Life is full of struggle and tragedy. When will it touch our family? Worry is paralyzing. It shuts out joy and leaves me in a pit of fear and depression.

Life is hard. I know that. Life is also full of joy. If I choose to focus on the hard, I loose the joy. If I choose to focus on the joy, and release the hard (including worries) to my heavenly Father, I get to live in the joy.

The hard comes and goes, I know that. I also know my Father is at my side to help me through it. Worry robs me of the joy of today and brings no help when the hard comes. Worry is a waste of time.

Heavenly Father, I release my worries to you. Help me focus on the joy of today. Amen.

No comments: