Monday, March 12, 2007

Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!

The boys are learning new words every day. One of their first words was mommy. I have since learned they believe the true meaning of this word is "gimme". Whenever they want something they say, to whoever is closest, "mommy, mommy, mommy" as they frantically reach for whatever it is they are asking for.

So, how does that make me feel? I'm not thrilled!

But, it got me thinking. Do I ever sound like that when I talk to God? Is my perception of God that of a vending machine? Someone who gives me what I want? Most of the time, I don't think of God that way, although by my prayers somedays it might be a little hard to prove. Still, I think regardless of the tone of my voice when I pray, if my heart is for Him, God delights in it. Even when my prayers sound like a spoiled toddler demanding what he wants, I think God still delights in that. I think He delights when we come to Him with our struggles and our requests. He just loves to be with us - to interact with us.

The Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love. Psalm 147:11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Megan, they could be saying Me Me Me Me Me Me.

Taylor said...

It definatly is a fine line that I am not so good at. One minute I find myself praying for others and asking God for him to help them, because I don't want to sound like that toddler and then in an instant He can bring me to my knees begging and crying, as if I am going to die if he doesn't hear me, for Him to help me. I bet he finds me humorous!