Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book Review: One Hand, Two Hands


One Hand, Two Hands by Max Lucado is a sweet children’s book focused on, you guessed it, hands. The story follows a little girl throughout her day, highlighting the uses, feel and smell of her hands. The book ends with the simple ways she uses her hands to serve including giving hugs, writing a letter, picking up messes and of course praying.

The story is short and simply stated, the pictures are soft and fun and the overall presentation is pleasing. This is a book you could read many, many times without getting burned out, an important feature of a children’s book, especially if you have a toddler.

I am always looking for good picture books that help reinforce the character traits I am trying to train my children in. This one fits the bill. Better yet, the end of this book has a “hands on” section that lists specific ways our “loving”, “kind” and “helping” hands can serve. Under each heading is a list of four action items any child can do from “clean my room” (helping hands) to “share my snack” (kind hands) to "wave to a friend" (loving hands).

For young children, especially preschool age and toddlers, I think Max Lucado has written a winner!


***DISCLOSURE NOTICE: A free copy of this book was supplied to me for the purpose of review by Thomas Nelson Publishing. No monetary exchange was given. All comments and wording in this review are purely my own.

No comments: