Friday, April 02, 2010

Jane Austen - A Book Review


“Janeia”, Peter Leithart’s term for the mania of all things Austen, may apply to me.

I must admit I am a fan, and as I am not the only one, ample material has been supplied to feed my love of all things Jane. Movies like Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Emma rank among my favorites (BBC versions included). I couldn’t wait to see the movie Becoming Jane when it released. And, let’s not forget the media that gave rise to Janeia in the first place… the books. I’ve read all, but Northanger Abby and that is on my list.

All this to say, when I saw that Thomas Nelson was publishing a series of short biographies and Jane Austen was on the list, I grabbed it immediately.

The small 150 page book was a quick read. I must admit, the first chapter or two left my eyes glazed over as my mind wandered elsewhere, but that changed as I got to know Jane, or Jenny as she was known to her family.

I was glad to get to know the real Jenny (who’s life does not, by the way match very closely to the Jane we discovered in the movie, Becoming Jane, especially in the romance department).

Nevertheless, the real Jane was as likable as her heroines with a smart sense of humor. If you have read her books you could hardly imagine anything less. Her biography is filled with letters written by Jane, to Jane and about Jane, chronicling her life and giving readers insight into the woman credited with birthing the modern novel.

If you have participated in Janeia on any level and want to know more about the lady who inspired it almost 200 years ago, I would recommend the biography Jane Austen by Peter Leithart. I’m guessing it will give you a greater appreciation for the work of Jane Austen, as well as the woman herself.


***DISCLOSURE NOTICE: A free copy of this book was supplied to me for the purpose of review by Thomas Nelson Publishing. No monetary exchange was given. All comments and wording in this review are purely my own.

1 comment:

Daniel Phillips said...

I have heard a lot of things about Jane Austen - Thanks for the review.

I am now following your blog and I wish you could follow me back, thanks a lot. Dan.

http://danielphillips10.blogspot.com/