Monday, June 15, 2009

A Foul Wind

A foul wind has been blowing through our house. Less than ideal circumstances have come my way and my reaction has been, well, less than ideal.


Its nothing big, just little things. Little annoying things that have me grumbling around the house like an ogre.

There is a song from my youth that contains the words, "Are you grumbly hateful or humbly grateful, What's your attitude?"

I've definitely been on the grumbly hateful side of the spectrum this week.

Needless to say, I have not been the happiest, most patient momma.

My parents used to have a magnet on their fridge that said, "When momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

I hate how true that is. It is so unfair that my attitude has the power to make the rest of the family unhappy. Sometimes I just want to be in a bad mood, by myself.

What a luxury that would be!

Unfortunately, when I start grumbling around, bad attitudes tend to fly through our house faster than crumbs appear on the kitchen floor during mealtime.

It can be such a burden.

In reality, I know I have a lot to be thankful for. And when I start to focus on those things, I tend to move back to the "humbly grateful" side of the spectrum. The wind changes. The rest of the family tends to follow suite. And all is right with the world again.

That is, until the next foul wind blows through!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Preach it sister

betsy z said...

Oh wow, how true it is! Sometimes you don't have to grumble much at all... they can just read it on your face. Such perceptive little creatures, aren't they?