Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Just another habit?

"I believe that the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. This is why the devil trys so hard to get Christians to be religious. If he can sink a man's mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God."

-Donald Miller Blue Like Jazz

I can be reading my Bible out of habit and never really engage God. I am essentially doing another task. I can read my Bible with the sole motive of relieving the guilt - so I feel like I am a "good Christian."

Don't get me wrong - everyone should read the Bible, Christians and non-Christians alike - it is life changing. But it is only life changing if I allow it to penetrate my heart. I can read the words and never comprehend. I need to be the good soil Jesus talks about in Matthew 13 ("Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop--a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." vs. 8)

It comes down to His love. When I remember how much He loves me, that He died for me, and then read my Bible - I know the seeds find good ground.

"O perfect Lamb of Passover, Let me not quickly run.
Recount to me the blessed plot, Tell how the plan was spun
That I, a slave of Egypt's lusts, A prisoner of dark dread,
Could be condemned unto a cross And find You nailed instead."

-Beth Moore Jesus the One and Only

1 comment:

Taylor said...

That is so true! I have gotten to a point in my life where I feel like if I watch tv or whatever no-brained activity that wastes time, that it has no value or meaning, like I am cheating God from making a more meaningful vessel for him. When I am engaged with God I want more and I feel full. I do think though we need downtime to do non-brained activity, but my perspective on what really matters has changed and when I catch myself doing meaningless activity when I know I should be doing something else, I remember that I am not working for Christ but the devil and that usually puts me back on the right track!