Monday, July 04, 2011

Unleashed - a book review




If you page through my copy of Unleashed by Erwin Raphael McManus, you will find underlined phrases, stars and even a handwritten exclamation mark or two. That will be your first hint that the message in this little book resonated with me. And, based on my graffitied pages you might make the educated guess that I wanted to remember and maybe even share parts of what I read.

Your guess would be correct.

In fact I’m going to share a little of what I read with you right now…





"All of us, it seems, are susceptible to choosing a life defined more by security and safety than faith and risk. I’m convinced that all of us struggle with the tension of wanting to live a life of unimaginable adventure and at the same time maintain a world that is fully under our control. The problem is that faith when fully ignited moves our lives entirely out of our control completely into the hands of God…You don’t need to go find faith; you need to unleash it."

If this quote moves you, then you should read Unleashed. And if it doesn’t… you should probably read it to.

Throughout the pages of this book, Mr. McManus calls Christians to leave the safe, domesticated “Christian” world that we have created and wholeheartedly follow and embrace the “barbarian” call Christ created. He reminds us that the call of Christ is not safe, "God would never choose for us safety at the cost of significance. God created you so that your life would count, not so that you could count the days of your life."

I found Unleashed to be well-written and thought provoking and would highly recommend it.

***DISCLOSURE NOTICE: A free copy of this book was supplied to me for the purpose of review by Thomas Nelson Publishing. No monetary exchange was given. All comments and wording in this review are purely my own.

1 comment:

Holly said...

This sounds like a great book, and the excerpt reminds me of a scene in Narnia when one of the characters (I can't remember right now which one -- maybe it was Jill?) saw a great lion -- Aslan -- across a stream, and asked her companion about him. She wanted to know if the lion was tame. Not tame, her companion said, but good. I may not be remembering this scene correctly, but the idea that Aslan was not tame stuck with me, and I've found it to be true about God -- He's not tame, but He is good.