Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Quote for Today


I've been reading Mary DeMuth's Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture. It is a great book - very relevant to parenting today. Anyway, I thought I'd share a quote with you which was a good reminder for me.

"We must remember that to pour life into the souls of our children, our own souls must be filled up first. You simply can't pour life and encouragement into your children if you are empty.

I'm reminded of the analogy of the starving baker. From morning to night, the baker busied himself with baking bread to feed hungry villagers. He saw only the night sky as he traveled to and from work. But he never took time to eat. So enmeshed in his task of feeding others, he forgot to take care of himself, eventually starving to death.

The American dream lures us to be starving bakers, but our need isn't bread, it's deep connection with Jesus. We run around all our lives, never stopping for refreshment. We wonder why our kids are stressed, why they aren't passionate about Jesus Christ. Perhaps we have lost our connection with God in our busyness, and they are simply mimicking us. Of course, they are responsible for their own relationships with Jesus. Of course, God is sovereign and can fill them despite our weariness. But as parents, we set the tone for our home. Constantly flurrying shows our children that life is more about running, running, running than it is about slowing down enough to hear the still quiet voice of God in the midst of life's chaos."

May you make time today to connect to the vine of Jesus and find refreshment for your soul.

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: